You can Easily, Quickly and Effectively Block Wildfire Smoke from entering a Breathing Zone be it home, office, or school
A complete fresh air filtration / pressurization kit is now available to pressurize your breathing zone (up to about 2000 square feet) with super-clean air and to prevent wildfire smoke from entering through cracks around doors, windows, and other openings in your building’s exterior pressure envelope/barrier. It works well with homes that are not overly leaky. It cannot fully compensate for a home leakier than about 5 air changes per hour. Nor can it compensate for operation of high volume exhaust fans which depressurize and suck smokey outdoor air in through cracks and leaks in an exterior pressure envelope. California residents take note.
Complete WildFire Smoke Blocker Kits available for immediate shipment today. Includes:
- Red Zephyr (VARIABLE SPEED)
- Manual Airflow Rate Controller
- Type III Filter
- Air intake kit including 4″ & 5″ adapter plate modified air intake grille, gasket, stainless steel fasteners and poly mollies
- Plug-in power supply 12 dc 3a
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Pressurization monitor (high accuracy) available from Health and Energy Company, Omaha NE. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-traudt-63728317
INTRODUCTORY PRICE: $375.00 including shipping and tax. SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICING ENDS APRIL 15, 2019.
TO ORDER: Call Kathleen at 239 777-2904. Credit cards accepted.
Type III WildFire Smoke Blocker filter kits available for shipment today. INTRODUCTORY PRICE $75.00 including shipping and tax. Includes filter cartridge, 4″ and 5″ adapter plate, and weather protection air intake grille and fasteners.
INTRODUCTORY PRICING ENDS APRIL 15, 2019.
TO ORDER: Call Kathleen at 239 777-2904. Credit cards accepted.
This is how the WildFire Smoke Blocker works:
- The system makes the smoke move away from your breathing zone, just like sitting on the upwind side of a campfire causes the smoke to move away from you.
- All breathing zone exhaust fans must be turned off. We want the breathing zone to be slightly pressurized with smoke-free air, not depressurized.
- We want to eliminate even a mild vacuum that can suck smokey outdoor air into the breathing zone through leaky windows, doors, and cracks. The kit makes It easy to adjust the air pressure inside the breathing zone for a positive pressure if no exhaust fans are running..
- Super clean MERV 14-15 filtered outdoor air is delivered into the breathing zone to pressurize the breathing zone.
- Once inside, clean breathing zone air is pushed to the out of doors through all cracks and leaky seals forcing smokey air to move away from the leaky seals and cracks instead of being sucked in.
- RESULT? Smoke cannot enter into the breathing zone, no matter how smokey it may be out of doors. (EXCEPT IN THE CASE OF STRONG WINDS)
- However, wind can create higher outdoor pressures at certain locations and overpower breathing zone pressurization.allowing smokey air to enter into exterior wall cavities. Fortunately, breathing zone pressurization can often dilute the smokey air as it enters into the exterior wall cavities before it can reach the breathing zone.
This is how the WildFire Smoke Blocker installs:
A Cordless 1/2″ drill will successfully power a 4″ hole saw through most materials except for concrete. Hole may be completed in 5-15 minutes. But it is very slow through steel, which should be avoided. Beware electric and water lines.
4″ sheet metal duct is available at Lowes and Home improvement storest. It can be cut to 10-17″ length depending upon the thickness of the wall through which it must pass. A slight flare may be created by rubbing a round tool like a screwdriver shaft around and around the open end to flare it slightly to facilitate insertion of Type III filter from out-of-doors. The duct should be sealed in place with duct mastic, a high strength, permanent caulk formulated for similar purposes.
- A flexible, insulated duct may be connected to the galvanized duct and fed to a Red Zephyr variable speed, 12 volt fan located inside the home.
- Use aluminum foil tape (UL Rated) to secure airtight connections. Do not use fabric or plastic tape (duct or duck tape)
- Use R-4 or 6 rated insulated duct available from Lowes or Home Improvement centers. You can cut the helix wire with wire cutters and the mylar and fiberglass material with ordinary scissors.
An air-cooled dry diamond core bit can be used to bore 4″ holes through materials including concrete. Such tools are available at almost all tool rental shops like Home Depot. 4 hour rental is economical and allows sufficient time to bore several 4″ holes if desired. This tool operates at 6,000 rpm and is intimidating unless used with the template below.
SmartVentilation suggests that a 1/2″ plywood template with a 4″ hole be secured to the wall with velcro to locate and to maintain precise location of dry diamond drill bit when beginning the hole. Velcro works fine and the boring task becomes much more pleasant, even fun. Starting the hole without the template is NOT fun. A 4″ template with shopvac connections will be available upon special request.
This is what the WildFire Smoke Blocker Kit includes:
A do-it-yourself plug-in 12v power supply to provide the power that system operation requires without the need for an electrician or an electrical permit. Custom designed and manufactured specifically for the Red Zephyr and the Daisy.Ductless.
Variable Speed, Adjustable Speed Red Zephyr
Custom designed and manufacatured 12 volt blower to move the precisely correct amount of air required to achieve enough breathing zone pressure to block smoke entry into the breathing zone through cracks and around door and window seals. NASA grade ECM motor with the highest moisture resistance rating.
A Type III filter
Custom designed and manufactured to MERV 14-15 specifications that will filter out almost everything including smoke, pollen, mold spores, PM2.5, bacteria, viruses, 4 inch diameter for airtight fit into a 4 inch metal duct. Service life? 18-24+ months.
Change in 3 minutes from the out-of-doors, without tools.
Air intake adapter and cover
Provides weather protection to the air intake filter. Fasteners not shown, but included. Filter is exchanged from out of doors by removal of snap-in grille cover. Filter Exchange is identical with Daisy Ductless installation on YouTube.
Electrical Power and Speed Control Cable
Ready for installation. Polarized connectors. Installs behind drywall, out of sight.
4″ Air Delivery Grill
A perfect match for 4″ flexible R-4 or R-6 insulated HVAC duct. Grille rotates to direct fresh air in any direction.
It is suggested that air be delivered into a large room, not into an air handler closet. UNLESS a SmartVentilation Airflow Circulation Engine is also installed.
Wall Plate with Speed Controller and Power Jack
The power jack receives the custom designed / manufactured 90 degree12 vdc plug to keep wiring close to the wall.
The small dot slightly to the right of the center of the wall plate is the access for the jeweler’s screwdriver-adjustable airflow rate control. Even when set as low as 5 cfm, the NASA-grade custom ECM motor will start reliably in the event of temporary power interruption. The OPTIONAL Health and Energy Pressure Monitor will provide remarkable guidance in setting Red Zephyr air delivery rate.
Wildfires make Breathing Dangerous to your Health. Wildfire Smoke is Loaded with PM2.5 Particles and other toxic stuff.
Block WildFire Smoke Entry into Your Home and Keep it Out of your Breathing Zone and OUT of Your Family's Lungs
HOW? Increase the air pressure in your home’s the breathing zone. Higher pressure inside will keep smoke outside. But you must use very clean air to create the pressurization.
How can I do that?
- Simply use MERV 14-16 or HEPA filters to clean the ventilation air before it comes into your home. Use this very clean filtered air to increase the air pressure inside your home’s breathing zone with respect to the out of doors. This is called clean air building pressurization, and it is very commonly recommended by building scientists and air quality experts. Pressurization with filtered air will block outdoor air and water vapor from entering into a building’s breathing zone and structure through “defects” or unintentional openings in a buildings exterior “pressure envelope/pressure barrier.”
- So instead of smoky outdoor air entering into the home through cracks and crevices in the exterior pressure envelope/barrier, pressurized indoor air pushes out against the outdoor smoke preventing it from entering the breathing zone through those openings. Pressurization works.
- BUT California and some other states commonly use “exhaust” ventilation, meaning that the ventilation system sucks indoor air out of the breathing zone. This suction also sucks outdoor, smoky and dirty air into the home through cracks and openings and other construction defects to replace the clean air sucked out.
- In California, the assumption is that the building’s structure, cracks and crevices will operate like “filters” to remove the smoke from the outdoor smoky air. And it works to some extent. And it even causes some harmful ozone to break down.
- So if a California “ventilation system” is rated at 100 cubic feet per minute, you an expect about 100 cubic feet per minute of smoky outdoor air to show up in your breathing zone and lungs with filtration provided only by whatever might be in those cracks and crevices.
- So, if you live in California, and you don’t want smoke in your lungs and in your home, you should turn off your ventilation system when outdoor air is smoky and not suitable for breathing.
- To keep smoke out, a pressurization/ventilation system can deliver the correct amount of outdoor air, but clean it BEFORE it enters your home and breathing zone. You can deliver CLEANED outdoor air into your home through an effective, variable speed ventilation/filtration system. A MERV 14-15 filter will clean your breathing zone air much better than passing it through cracks and crevices (building construction defects.). A HEPA filter will remove an incredible 99.97% of outdoor particles. With either a MERV 14-15 filter or a HEPA filter, outdoor smoke can be very heavy, and if your home is pressurized with MERV 14 or HEPA filtered air, you will not even smell the smoke so long as you keep doors and windows closed.
- Use smart controls to automate the fresh air delivery system so that indoor air is automatically delivered in the proper amount, clean and without smoke, PM2.5, pollen, mold spores, agricultural chemical aerosols, viruses, bacteria, soot. and other toxic particles.
- CONCLUSION? Folks in homes that have ventilation provided by exhaust fans should switch from the exhaust ventilation system that is likely installed in their home and install a pressurization, smart ventilation system with a MERV 14 or better filter. It is easy, quick ,affordable. and EFFECTIVE